The beetroot is the taproot portion of the beet plant and is known as ‘Chukandar’ in Hindi. This deep red or purple color vegetable may be having much more health benefits that may be currently recognized by most of the people. Beet root has been gaining popularity as awareness spreads about about its medicinal benefits and nutrients . Purple colored Raw beetroots are not only a great idea to dress up a plate of salad but they add lot of nutritional value too.
Major Health Benefits of Beet Root (Chukandar)
- Nitrate is present in abundance in most green leafy vegetables as well as in beetroot. Being a rich source of dietary nitrates. Beet root which has significant health benefits for many medical conditions and diseases.
- Beet root in raw form or as juice is known to have a positive influence on cardiovascular system and decreases blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Researchers have attributed effect on blood pressure due to a good amount of nitrate levels in beet root.
- It is considered to improve cognitive function and even believed to slow the progression of dementia in older people.
- Consuming Beet root is good for skin and hair.
- Beets have long being believed to help in Blood Purification by removing Toxins.
- Beets, in addition to their aforementioned minerals and nutrients have high levels of folate and vitamin C.
Folate is a naturally occurring form of Vitamin B9, which supports healthy cell growth and division and is thereby reduces the risk of birth defects and many other diseases like cancer.
- Root vegetables like Beet Root are high in natural sugars and have a high glycemic index. Hence there is need for caution when taken by diabetics. However research has shown that the natural sugars in beetroot is not very quick in converting to glucose. Further Dietary nitrates in beet root are good for managing conditions like high cholesterol, blood pressure. Beetroot also contains anti oxidants like alpha-lipoic acid, which is believed to scavenge free radicals. This is helpful in , fights inflammation and in diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage) an improve cognitive functions. Alpha-lipoic acid and other nutrients in beet root have effect on increased insulin sensitivity and thus affecting the Glucose levels in Blood.
- Beet root is low in calories, has good fiber content and should be part of a healthy and balanced diet.